My photo
Washington, United States
www.brianmoen.com

Sunday, November 29, 2009

To Write or Not to Write: That is the Problem

“I can’t think of anything to write about, Mr. Moen!”

I won’t even try to count the number of times that I’ve heard this sentiment expressed in my classroom. The pathetic sounding wail first takes wings and wafts across the room and to my ears from at least one, and sometimes more, of my students when I ask them to sit down and write something. Heck, I even say this to myself on those occasions when I find it difficult to get started with my writing. Of course, I don’t usually add the “Mr. Moen” part at the end. That would be too weird.

Whatever the reasons behind the complaining by those under my guidance, I can relate. As a matter of fact, I am feeling that I don’t have anything to write about right now either. Maybe I should hurl myself upon the floor and flail around wildly kicking the ground? Or, I could scream at the top of my lungs until someone notices me? Or maybe I should just cry instead? Then, I would get out of having to jolt my brain into gear and compose a blog entry for today. Right?

Of course, maybe I’m having difficulty focusing right now because I am working in an environment that is truly not conducive for creative reflection. Right now I am repeatedly distracted by the vivid pictures and sounds of a football game blaring on the TV at the same time I’m writing this - Go Seahawks! All the while, I’m also within earshot of the happy sounds of two of my kids cooperatively playing a board game in the kitchen, bombarded by the noise of my 4 year old attempting to sing karaoke through an amplified toy, and am encountering a repeated barrage from my three dogs, noisily romping and fighting all over the living room, knocking over furniture and occasionally, a small distracted child.

So, what is it exactly that a person can do to overcome these instances of “writer’s block?” Well, I have a few pieces of advice that may help you become unstuck. Here are some things that have worked for me:

1) Sit down and write anything that comes to mind – This by far and away seems to be the suggestion that works the best for me. If you feel like you have nothing to say, write that down! Maybe you should start by writing about the weather, a fly buzzing near your head, or how excited you are to clean the toilets. The point is, you must keep writing no matter what! Usually, within 10 – 15 minutes of time, you hit upon a topic that strikes a chord with you. Then, words start to flow more easily.

2) Leave – Take a break and get away from your writing for awhile. Go for a walk, do housework, shop, or dance the tango. It doesn’t really matter what you do, as long as you get away from your prose for a bit. And, be sure to do something that allows your mind to totally escape from the task of writing. Otherwise, you will spend your time away fretting over what you still have left to compose.

3) Eat – I know … this is probably a horrible suggestion to make to those of us abundantly blessed with more than ample girth. (Dang government BMI charts!) But, based on years of personal research, I have found that my mood improves if I can get a little nourishment and chocolate into my body. Plus, a person gets the added benefit of putting the impending task off until the digestive secretions get kicked into high gear. No more rumbling in the tummy to distract you!

So there you have it. Writing, much like other talents in life, is a learned behavior. The more you practice, the better you become at it. So, I’d encourage you be persistent. Even though the job of putting your ideas to paper may seem exceedingly challenging, I believe that you can be successful if you incorporate some of the tips I mentioned above and keep working. Plus, the more advice and help you get along the way, the more confidence and aptitude you’ll acquire. Good luck, and keep writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In advance, THANKS for leaving any comments or suggestions!