My photo
Washington, United States
www.brianmoen.com

Sunday, May 2, 2010

KINETIC ENERGY DELAYED

What to do, what to do ...

Here it is, a typical overcast and dreary Spring day in the Pacific Northwest. Wind gently tickling the tree branches outside and flinging the leaves into the already overfilled, soiled gutters of my house. The sun, not wanting to come out and play, hides noiselessly somewhere behind the ashen and lifeless clouds. And here I sit, alone, adorned in luxurious cotton PJ's, contemplating what comes next.

I am at a standstill. The brain wants to turn some of the potential energy I have into the kinetic type. But the body shamelessly disobeys.

I have several projects left to get to on the "Honey-do" list, but inspiration has regrettably wandered off somewhere unseen. Besides, the heat inside the house feels nice and toasty. There are comics and sports to catch up on in the Sunday paper and my backside is feeling pretty comfortable entrenched in the recliner. In my humble opinion, it's not a day to gallivant about doing the laundry or attempting to decimate the knee-high vegetation currently doing a poor imitation of something we affectionately call our front lawn.

The other hindrance to getting me moving today is an indecision about which book project to begin next. Since I completed the manuscript for "Macaroni and the Binky," I've yo yo-ed back and forth for days. I have a total of seven outlines constructed for stories. But, I can't decide which one I want to start on next.

Should I start on another story in the series I've plotted about Macaroni? Or, should I do a picture book that is completely different? Or, maybe should I work on one of the two middle grade/easy reader novels instead?

I guess having several stories to choose from is a good problem for a writer to be shackled with. I don't have to spend time waiting around for ideas to worm their way into my brain. I just have to decide. Easy, right?

*Lunch Break*

Well, I've decided. Cheese stuffed crust pizza slathered with pepperoni, mushrooms, and cheese unlocked the brain freeze. It does that sometimes.

So what am I going to do then? I've decided to finish composing a magazine article I began several weeks ago. Even though it wasn't one of the choices I mentioned above, it has been on the short list of projects. And since I am in the final editing and revising stages already, it's a piece of writing closest to submission.

Thanks y'all for helping me get unstuck!

5 comments:

  1. I am in the same boat....but if I don't do the laundry, the family goes naked to school/work.....enjoy your lazy day

    I vote for more Macroni stories......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Kelli! Your vote for Macaroni is duly recorded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to say I'm VERY proud of you! I have always enjoyed your stories and can't wait to see them published for all to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting anything pulished by the amazing Brian Moen:) I look forward to sharing your stories with my two children, Ethan and Kira. We all are avid readers with active imaginations, which makes us easy prey for your literary works Mr. Moen;) It looks as if your muse, delicious and delectable pizza, saved the day! Enjoy some more pizza pie as you write away dear friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a breathtaking comment ... THANKS! One day soon, I hope that I'll be able to provide you and your book loving children with a never ending plateful of gratifying literature for consumption. Until then, I better get me another slice of that spicy, pepperoni goodness and get back to writing.

    ReplyDelete

In advance, THANKS for leaving any comments or suggestions!