My photo
Washington, United States
www.brianmoen.com

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Editing and Revising

Raise your hand if you love to edit and revise your stories over and over again? Okay then ... That wasn't the overwhelming response I was expecting.

Really? There's not a single person out there who absolutely adores polishing their work over and over again until every single word shines like the North Star?

Ah, come on! I can't be the only one who loves to push, pull, and twist the things they've written ad nauseam as if shaping a lump of clay into the perfect shape. Can I? Apparently, since I don't see any hands raised in the room, I am.

Editing and revising are a pertinent part of the writing process that cannot be ignored. In order to present your manuscripts in the best light possible to potential agents and publishers, you must take as much time as is necessary to get it right. You only get once chance to make a first impression so it might as well be a good one.

Here are some the the steps that may help you:

1) Read your story aloud to yourself. Make notes of any possible changes.
2) Put your story away for two weeks.
3) Read your story aloud to yourself again. Edit/revise.
4) Put your story away for two weeks.
5) Read your story aloud to yourself one more time. Edit/revise.
6) Seek professional help. At this point, join a critique group or have a editor or other qualified individual read your work.  I recommend that you don't use a friend. They have trouble being as honest with you as is needed.
7) Evaluate based on feedback received from the professional(s). Does your story show promise? If so, proceed.
8) Edit/revise some more.
9) Find some students in the targeted age group for your story. Read your story aloud to them and get feedback.
10) Edit/revise, if necessary.
11) Seek professional help again. At this point, ask your critique group, editor, or other qualified individual read your work once again.
12) Repeat steps 1 - 11, as many times as necessary. 

Sounds painless, right? Not really? That's good. It shouldn't be.

The reality is that writing is hard work. I personally find it to be quite rewarding, and don't know what I would do if I couldn't express myself creatively. I sincerely hope that you enjoy it too. 

Happy writing!

2 comments:

In advance, THANKS for leaving any comments or suggestions!