My photo
Washington, United States
www.brianmoen.com

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

End of Books?

With the release of Apple's new iPad electronic tablet style device, some pundits are speculating that the time-honored tradition of printing books on paper will end. Yep. Just like dinosaurs, the betamax, those white parachute pants with a tie in the front that I loved so much, and my svelte 32 inch waistline. Books are going to disappear forever.

Well, hold on there for a moment, naysayers. Don't throw shovels full of dirt over my beloved books just yet!

The print medium is definitely in a state of flux, and writers, agents, publishers, bookstores, and the like must change. But with some creative marketing and innovation, paper bound materials can survive, and even thrive in the future. Always look on the bright side, right?

As much as I love curling up with a good book to keep me company at night, I have to admit that the updated "Alice in Wonderland" ebook for the iPad looks pretty incredible. What do you think? Will the printed version of this medium survive the challenge?

2 comments:

  1. incredible and frightening at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. Love the technology, but worry about the future of the printed book. Curling up with a good computerized technologically superior device with a LCD or LED screen just doesn't fill me with a warm and fuzzy feeling. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

In advance, THANKS for leaving any comments or suggestions!