My photo
Washington, United States
www.brianmoen.com

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Play Date for the Neurons

I, like most people, do not like being sick! I don’t enjoy the aches, pains, headaches, and other malaise that come with it. In addition, it seems that now that I’ve gotten a little older, my body usually waits until the weekend to shut itself down. So, as it is, I spend my work week in a generally productive and vertical position. But, once the weekend comes around, the bug hits me, and I’m on my back in bed. There goes the weekend!

Being sick does have a unique purpose, though. I fathom that it’s life’s way of saying to each one of us, “Slow down there, partner. You’ve been burning the candle at both ends for too long. It’s time to take it easy and relax for a bit.” So, instead of mowing the lawn, cleaning out the gutters, and doing the multitude of other projects I had planned for today, I put on my jammies instead. Then, I just snuggled up under my fluffy, down-filled covers, surfed on the internet, read, and chugged clear sports-type drinks to my heart’s content.

Still, there is another big upside to my life when I’m sick that I haven’t mentioned. (And, no … I’m not talking about having my wife wait on me on hand and foot, and feel sorry for me.) The benefit of being ill is that since my body needs rest, my mind gets its own time to wander. Think of it as a “play date for the neurons.” The creative part of my ‘being’ gets a chance to be set free on the world and wreak havoc. In other words, I get time to write!

Thus far today, I’ve had the opportunity to put pen to paper a lot. I got the chance to go over my current easy reader book manuscript to complete an additional round of editing and revisions. This endeavor was sorely needed. As I wrote about previously in this blog, I have a critique group meeting coming up later this month. Today’s review of my creation was important to accomplish before then. On top of that, I was able to clarify and add ideas to my outline for a new picture book project, brainstorm some key thoughts for an article that I’m entering in a writing contest, and update my website. Plus, I got the chance to get caught up with some friends via email and through a certain social-networking sight.

So you see, even when a person is ‘under the weather’ for a bit, much can be accomplished.

 (Original Posting Date - October 10, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment

In advance, THANKS for leaving any comments or suggestions!