My photo
Washington, United States
www.brianmoen.com

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Realistic Dialogue

During class today, one of my students read the following line aloud while sharing a story that he’d written in his journal:

“My Dad has a lot of hair … but none of it is on his head.”

This line cracked my students up! I knew right away that I had to share this with my readers.

I felt it was important to pass this quote along because it provided a terrific example of the type of humor that kids in the upper elementary and middle grades find amusing. By listening to and learning how kids talk in “real life,” you are more able to capture the feelings of your characters and write realistic dialogue for your stories. The genuine word choices you make will help you connect with your potential audiences better, and bring increased depth to your stories.

Plus,the fact is, now that I am in my mid forties, my back is beginning to resemble my student’s comment.

(Original Posting Date - October 6, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment

In advance, THANKS for leaving any comments or suggestions!