My photo
Washington, United States
www.brianmoen.com

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Weekend with Daddy

My wife left me for the weekend. Not only did she leave me, she took my daughter with her, too. They are off to spend a rainy Washington weekend of camping with the Girl Scouts. That means that Daddy gets to spend the weekend all by himself with the boys, doing safe and manly activities.

We’ve already enjoyed a dinner of delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, a side order of pears (fresh from the plastic single serving sized cups), small glasses of frothy 2% milk, and cookie dough ice cream with caramel syrup on top for dessert. Then, the boys messed around for awhile by pushing their toy trucks safely around the living room. But, as the thrill of competition between the two kids took over, the trucks became dangerous projectiles that knocked over some chairs and flew pell-mell toward the t.v., Dad quickly put an end to the monster truck rally. After that, we used quiet inside voices and kicked back for a bit, watched the prototypical kids’ cartoons, did some mazes, and played a few games of tick-tack-toe. I got the boys ready for bed at a respectable 10:30 pm (c’mon, it’s the weekend), and tucked them in for the night.

My next task is to figure out what we should do tomorrow. I’ve contemplated the pros and cons of taking the boys to the Serpentarium to hold snakes, hiking to a waterfall through a magical rainforest, finding our way through a corn maze, or visiting the children’s museum. Then again, the allure of going to a local fast food restaurant and letting them run around in the kids play area also sounds appealing due to the added benefit of not having to think about what to fix for lunch. And, there’s always football and car racing events to think about as well. Decisions, decisions …

I’m sure that whatever I decide to have the kids do for the rest of this weekend will be fun. It’s not often that the males in the Moen household get to bond like this. Besides, I know that my wife will consider the weekend to be a success as long as she finds the males of this household in the same condition as she left them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In advance, THANKS for leaving any comments or suggestions!