My photo
Washington, United States
www.brianmoen.com

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Middle School Memories

Based on my middle school teaching experience last year, I guess it’s a good thing I moved back to the elementary level. I’d now equate my year working with middle school students to the sport of skydiving.

You start by going through ground school in an attempt to get ready for your first jump. Only, once you get in the plane and up in the air, you start to get a little nervous. Eventually, you overcome your fears, and jump out of the plane anyway. You figure that you’ve got to be safe ’cause you have a parachute on. Right?

Unfortunately, once you start falling, you reach for the rip cord, only to discover that your main chute has malfunctioned and won’t open. You panic for a moment. But then, you thankfully realize that you have a back-up chute. Whew! So, you quickly grab for the 2nd rip cord and yank. RIP!!! Uh, oh. The 2nd cord, now detached from the parachute bag, dangles from your sweaty palm, and your back-up chute is nowhere to be found. All at once you find yourself free-falling rapidly. Now is the time to panic!

I jumped out of that metaphysical plane last year, and found the free-fall incredibly different than I’d first imagined. The wind did whip through my hair on the way down, and it was thrilling for a time! But, hitting the ground (and my head against the wall over and over again) really hurt. I can honestly say though that it was … interesting.

(Original Posting Date - September 11, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment

In advance, THANKS for leaving any comments or suggestions!